Top 10 Teen Titans
Not all members are created equal! Check out this list of my personal favorite Teen Titans members. Agree, disagree - feel free to comment (as long as you're nice).
10. Solstice – she wasn’t in the books as much as I would have liked, but she was an amazing character. She was kind of Raven’s opposite, which I thought could have been explored in an interesting way. She was positive and upbeat – how many Titans are like that aside from Beast Boy?? She had amazing sun-based powers, and even retained her coolness when they completely changed her character in the New 52. Suddenly she was all black with blue light shining through fissures in her skin and her powers seemed were the same but appeared as blue light rather than yellow. I loved her relationship with Kid Flash and the fact that she followed him to prison in order to stay with him.
9. Wonder Girl Cassie Sandsmark – initially I was mad that they made this character a blonde-haired blue-eyed hometown kind of girl, but she really grew on me. I liked the idea that she had stolen Amazon technology (at least in one timeline) in order to gain her powers, it made sense to me and it made me feel better about her as a fully-formed character. Therefore, I didn’t have too much of an issue when she wound up being related to Zeus and then Wonder Woman in the New 52. She kind of got “grandfathered in.” She has great spirit and is capable of being a great leader. We also saw some amazing stuff over the years with her armor changing and her powers increasing.
8. Kid Flash (Bart Allen New 52, Wally West, and Wally West Jr. currently) – always a fun addition to the team Wally has amazing almost limitless powers. He is always quick with a joke, and has had romances with several teammates. I always thought he was underestimated by his teammates who didn’t seem to realize the extent of his powers. I’ve enjoyed all of the incarnations of Kid Flash, though I probably prefer the original Wally West.
7. Jericho – perhaps one of the most sympathetic and at the same time tortured members of the Teen Titans. His powers were very unique – he could possess people by making eye contact with them. Very useful! He started off as a pure soul then was sadly corrupted by being exposed to the souls of Azaroth when he possessed Raven. It was pretty heart-breaking to watch him essentially go crazy and become evil, finally begging his own father to kill him. Jericho lived on and continued to be a villain until later incarnations of Jericho (New 52, Rebirth) saw him teaming up with his sister Rose and becoming a heroic character once again.
6. Robin (Tim Drake) – Drake’s character is just a pleasure to read – he is intensely intelligent and skilled at combat and leadership. Arguably one of the best leaders of the Titans in all incarnations, Drake was always pushing his teammates to do better.
5. Wonder Girl/Troia (Donna Troy) – a founding member of the Titans, Donna was always the example of a perfect warrior, one the others looked up to and strove to emulate. She went through a lot of changes but always retained her innate goodness and her skills at fighting and at leadership.
4. Starfire – always a favorite of mine, Starfire followed her passions and was a fierce warrior. She held the team together through many incarnations, and overcame much adversity in her past. Her battles with her evil sister were comic book gold.
3. Cyborg – an amazing character and one that is hugely underrated. Cyborg is capable of so much given his mostly synthetic body, and as the years have passed he has only become more formidable, even joining the Justice League.
2. Raven – an irresistible character, mainly due to her flaws and her fragility, which make her easy to relate to. Her powers are immense and her backstory and continuing fight with her father the demon Trigon make for addictive reading.
1. Nightwing (Dick Grayson) – an obvious choice for #1, Dick represents everything good about the Titans and everything they stand for. He is an extremely skilled warrior and strategist and an even better leader. His character continues to play an important role throughout many DC titles.